Sunday, January 5, 2014

Mala project

Happy new year everyone,
It's a new year, and a new outlook or revamping the outlook on things. It's a good time to rejuivinate ones self and recommit myself to the things that make me happy. 

Ok I'm sure how much sense that made but hey whatever. I started writing after taking a sleep aid for the first time in about a month, so I think it was a bit "strong" 

As some people know this will be the year of the yoga for me. I am going to do my first 200 hr yoga teacher training at Pranan Power Yoga. This is the studio I've pretty much only studied at. I like it and it feels like home, so it made sense to do it there. 

So something that I've wanted for awhile was a Mala, random yes but I have and I got one while in Austin at wanderlust. 

What is a mala you ask? (Other then a glorified necklace) 

Mala beads hold a lot of mystery. They're made in a range of different colors and materials, and while they’re used for generally the same reason, they mean something slightly different to all who wear them. If you’re curious how you might be able to use a mala, you’ve come to the right place.

What is a mala?
A mala is a string of 108 beads with one bead as the summit or head bead called a ‘sumeru.’ Malas are used as a tool to help the mind focus on meditation, or count mantras in sets of 108 repetitions.

Why use a mala?
Meditation is tricky! It can be challenging to sit still and quiet your mind for a period of time. The mala provides a much-needed anchor in these situations. It also allows the user to keep easy count during mantra repetitions.

How is a mala used?
The mala is traditionally held in the right hand and used in two ways; in one method, the mala is hanging between the thumb and the ring finger. The second finger is used to rotate the mala by one bead toward oneself with each repetition of breath or mantra. In the other method, the mala is hanging on the middle finger, with the thumb used to rotate the mala just as explained; one bead at a time. Either way, the index finger is never used to touch the mala. (The index finger represents ego, seen as the greatest impediment to self-realization in ancient Hinduism). The practice begins at the summit or head bead and continues around the loop until the head bead is reached again.

In Hinduism, the head bead is never passed over, so if more than one round is planned, the mala is turned around to proceed again in the reverse direction.

How is a mala worn?
It’s up to you! Malas create lovely necklaces, and can also be looped multiple times around your wrist. It’s a common belief that when malas are used regularly for meditation and repeating mantras, they absorb the vibrations of the practice. So the more you wear it, the more positive energy it absorbs and reflects back.


Source : corepoweryoga.com/blogs/mala-beads-explained

So what am I going to do. My goal is to add 1 sun salutation, either a or b for the next 108 days. Let me tell you, it's not going to be easy cause I've already missed some days, but I'm going to try and also going to make up the days I miss. If nothing else I'll get stronger, and anything better then that would be kind of awesome.  So we'll see, wish me luck 

No comments:

Post a Comment